We Recommend


Friesland Loves


Reading Club Book Recommendations


Hello! Welcome to the Friesland Gifted Readers Blog! We are a group of individuals that have been selected to join this extraordinary association by our fantastic English Teachers! In this organization, we select a book and read it. After that, we debate on the things we do, and don’t like about the book. And, if we are lucky, we get to do something related to the book!


Hello, I’m here to talk to you about one of my favourite books. It is called Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier. It is about a young girl who finds love in a hotel. She gets married and finds a secret about her husband. This book is also a classic from your Reading Log! I believe that it is a beautifully written book and I definitely recommend it.
Ellie Hazledine - 8L


The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas

I would recommend The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas by Jane Boyne as from the first chapter of this thrilling novel I had been dragged into its setting because of the wonderful descriptive language used throughout.
The book is set in the time of the Second World War when tyrant Hitler was ruling Germany but as a young, innocent nine year old, Bruno is oblivious to the unforgiving cruelties being inflicted on the people of Europe by no less than his own country. He moves house to Auschwitz (known to Bruno as 'Outwith') still unknowledgeable to what was happening in the world. Bored out of his mind and irritated by his older sister he decides to explore what was happening on the other side of the fence but all goes wrong for Bruno and his new striped pyjama friend... 

Mya Venison


Recently, I have read ‘My Sister Lives On The Mantelpiece’ by Annabel Pitcher. I found it a gripping story that had me enticed throughout the book; especially as the plot thickened. Not only was it unputdownable, but it also lingered in my mind for a while after I had finished reading the story. During this emotive novel, we follow young Jamie on his journey to overcome his sorrows and defy his father’s harsh rules of life. This book is now one of my favourites and I would definitely recommend this book to people who love exciting and gripping reads. 

By Amelia Nugent  



Recently, I have read David Walliams’ World’s Worst Teachers as it’s an easy read and funny. There are lots of short stories so it is easy to pick it up and put it down without forgetting the plot. Normally I’m not really a fan of David Walliams’ books, but I really enjoyed this one.

However, if you want something harder or more political, I would try 1984 by George Orwell. It was written in the 1940s about the future and how he envisaged the world could turn out. Whilst 1984 is now in the past, and was not at all like his vision, it is still an interesting read about capitalism and dictatorship. If you are interested in politics or want something different to read, I would highly recommend this book. 

You can find both of these books in our school library. 

By Bethan Wakefield



I recommend the book My Sister Jodie by Jacqueline Wilson. I recommend this book because it is about two sisters who are very much opposites having to move to live at a boarding school because their parents got a job there. The two sisters undergo a lot of challenges to fit in. Then something life changing happens. This book is available in the library and is a 4.3.

By Eleanor Cross



I really recommend book 1 out of 11 in the Alex Rider series, written by Anthony Horowitz, called Stormbreaker. It is adventurous and there isn’t one dull moment within the whole story, as you are constantly tiptoeing on the edge of a cliff wondering what’s going to happen next.
After his uncle’s mysterious death, Alex Rider is recruited by MI6 and is sent on his first assignment, which may well be his last. He has to stop the terrorist (Herod Sayle) from releasing a deadly virus and killing hundreds of thousands of British school children, whilst saving his own skin. I really like how the author takes an everyday 14 year old and embroils him with spies, gadgets and all the related thrills and spills.
I think the book is an amazing choice for people looking for an exhilarating read. All the other books in the series are also great.  

Written by Ethan Hilliard



Cujo
I recommend this thrilling novel named Cujo by Stephen king. This is a horror themed story about a St Bernard named Cujo who gets rabies and goes on a rampage, but can they survive?

I enjoyed this book as it is an exciting, bone chilling story and you never know what's going to happen next.  I recommend this book because after reading just the first few pages, it made me want to read the entire book.

By Isla Meakin


Book: Poison Study
Author: Maria V Snyder
Life or death, Yelena Zaltana must decide: hang for an unforgivable crime, or become the Commander of Ixia’s new food taster. But she must be careful, as danger lurks with every mouthful so it’s her decision: die swiftly at the gallows, or fear every meal...
Join Yelena on an epic adventure of magic, murder and mystery as she battles against the threat of hanging and a constant fear of being poisoned. But why does everyone want to kill her; and what will it cost to stay alive?

Reading this book and following its dangerous, hazardous adventure was a truly thrilling experience. As soon as I picked up the book, I couldn’t put it down. It has an enthralling plot and hilarious humour grabs its readers and keeps them keen for the next 6 electrifying adventures! I would definitely recommend it to anyone seeking out a brilliant, fantasy fiction saga!
By Joshua Barnes



I would recommend reading ‘Charlotte Says’ because it is mysterious and creepy. However, the book before it, ‘Frozen Charlotte’ is amazing also. It is about porcelain dolls that move at night, but they make people think they’re crazy, because the ghostly white dolls whisper to them like little girls, urging them to do evil things.  Personally, I couldn’t keep my eyes off of the pages, each page was full of wonder and even though it creeps you out, it also gives you a strange urge to read on. I read the first one in under 2 weeks I was so intrigued, and I seem to be going along the same path with Charlotte Says. 

By Lily Taylor




INKHEART TRILOGY BY CORNELIA FUNKE 

Inkheart Trilogy is about a girl called Meggie and her father Mortimer who live together in a house full of books and one night, a mysterious figure turns up on the front door, making Mortimer uncomfortable. She eavesdrops on them and learns of a strange man with an even stranger name called Capricorn looking for him and they flee the next morning for tales of power and the magic of books still needs to be unravelled and characters trapped out of the safety of their bindings are the perfect traitors for the perfect beginning to a tale. A tale which will take Meggie and her father to further than any immersive storybook and reveal how inky-black a heart can get if left to a dreamy old writer and the magic of a silver tongue...

By Sophie Richmond



Searching For Sky by Jillian Cantor

Island is all Sky knows. She has grown up there with River, the only boy on Island. They do everything together; Hunt for food, swim in falls and curl up in shelter. Everything was perfect. But when River sees a boat, they are suddenly sucked into a whirlwind of the modern day world. She has to discover what the barriers of California hold, how to undo her habits of life and discover the true stories of her bleak past…..

‘Searching for Sky’ is an exhilarating story of two teenagers who lived on an Island for 16 years and are then dragged into California. As a reader I could not put the book down, as the plot twists made sure you were never empty of questions that were soon answered. I was constantly astounded at the amount of things happening. The author, Jillian Cantor, uses exceedingly emotive language and this really makes you empathise Sky. I strongly recommend this book as it will hang in your mind for a long time after you read it, and you will feel a flood of emotions pour out of you.

By Suzannah Gilding

Comments